Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Visitors This Morning

At around 7:30 this morning, I was pleasantly 'startled' by two deer. Ordinarily this is a common occurrence - however the deer came into our fence-in backyard (as you can see in the photo below). With camera in hand, I took the first photo without their knowledge - I was in my home office looking directly at them - they were no more than 6 feet away.



The second photo saw the 'mom' alerted to my movement and in a split second, took off like a lighting bolt - clearing the fence effortlessly. Unfortunately the yearling tried to follow suite but was unable to escape.



For a tense few moments, the yearling was trapped in our backyard - I was outside and could see the frantic look on its face. I wish I had pursued it more aggressively - not to harm the deer but to capture more photos. Yet, I did not - it was cold this morning at about 36 degrees and I chose to come in the house to get to the back door. By the time I got outside via the back door, I saw the yearling finally exiting out the back gate (which was ajar and that was how they got in the back-fenced area in the first place).

I reflected on this event - a bit perturbed. On one hand, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to witness this encounter and take some photos but on the other hand, I wish I had some video footage to share. Yet, such is life - do I see things as half full or half empty? This occasion has taught me contentment with what I have - but also a reminder to live life to the fullest - to have the courage to act. As Paul exhorted Timothy in 2 Timothy 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment